Building Service


Since June 2002, Building Permits have been required throughout the Province for the construction of new buildings or structures as well as the demolition, relocation, alteration or replacement of an existing building or structure.

As the homeowner, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary permit(s).  If you choose to have  your contractor take out the permit on your behalf, make sure that it’s done before the project gets started.

The primary role of the Development Permit / Building Permit is to protect the property owner and the community by assuring that the proposed development is in conformity with the objectives set out in the Provincially adopted version of National Building Code of Canada.

Within an area subject to a Rural Plan, the process to obtain a Building Permit may take more time if a rezoning or variance is required. The process may also be longer for a commercial, industrial or public building as it is common this type of development or building may require other specific approvals.  It is recommended that you submit your application a few weeks before you intend to start the work.

Provincial Regulation 84-187, Sec 13 (5) & (6) requires that a building permit be acquired before an electrical contractor can obtain their electrical wiring permit.  To allow for ‘electrical work only’ a ‘building permit waiver’ is issued when a home owner is doing electrical work only on an existing building.  If you are making alterations, relocating or demolishing a structure, you require a full Building Permit Application.

Below please find the links to the Building Permit Application form and the Building Permit Waiver for electrical work only application form.

Submitting an Application for a Building / Development Permit

To submit an Application for a Building / Development Permit you will need:

•    a set-back/access permit from the Department of Transportation & Infrastructure or municipal Public Works Department;

•    an approval from the Department of Health or respective municipality for any on-site sewer system;

•    building location site plan;

•    building plans;

•    a completed building permit application form;

•    the Property Identification Number (PID), available from the local registry office (or on your property tax bill);

•    approvals from other government agencies, if required;

•    any other requirements to  certify conformity; and

•    applicable fees.

Application for Building & Development Permit

Electrical Waiver  Permit Application

Public Notice